Environmental Health, Safety, and Risk Management
Keep the following requirements in mind when storing chemicals:
- Keep chemicals in the original container whenever possible.
- Ensure that secondary chemical containers are:
- Closed when not in use with a tight-fitting lid
- Compatible with the chemical (including the lid)
- Labeled with the name of the chemical and any hazard warnings.
- Consult the label and safety data sheet (SDS) for essential storage and use information
- Incompatible materials to avoid
- Ventilation requirements
- Inspect chemical containers often:
- For leakage
- To determine if a chemical has become a waste due to change (example: liquid becomes a solid) or expiration.
- All chemicals must be inventoried, and an SDS for each chemical in storage must be available to an employee at will.