Environmental Health, Safety, and Risk Management
Safety Data Sheets
(Material Safety Data Sheets have recently been renamed as Safety Data Sheets, so one will continue to see references to both for now.)
Chemical manufacturers are required by the Hazard Communication Standard to provide safety data sheets (also known as SDS) for every chemical they make and distribute.
Employees should review the SDS for a chemical before using it.
Not all SDS's look the same, but they all provide basically the same information necessary to use the chemical safely.
This info includes*:
- Hazardous ingredients and exposure limits
- Health hazards, including how the chemical is likely to enter the body, and symptoms of exposure.
- Precautions for safe handling and use, including what to do if there is a spill.
- *You can learn more about the information found on an SDS by reviewing the resource provided.
Your department must have an SDS for each chemical in use or in storage, and it must be available to you at will. Contact your supervisor to see the SDS files for your area.
You can also look up any chemical on-line:
- Use a search browser such as "Google"
- Click the button below to access "MSDSOnline"
Log on with your Fresno State email ID and password
Contact the Office of Environmental Health and Safety and Risk Management (EHS/RM) at (559) 278-7422 if you have any questions or need assistance.