Skip to main content Skip to main navigation Skip to footer content

Environmental Health, Safety, and Risk Management

Welcome to the University Driving Page!

Authorization to Drive on University Business

Are you authorized to drive on University Business?

What qualifies as University Business?

  1. Sponsored/Funded travel (For Example: IRA-funded [Instructionally Related Activities]).
  2. Duties/tasks performed as part of your university employment.
  3. Driving a golf cart/powered cart/gator on campus.

What is your campus classification?  Please click on the option which best defines you:

  1. "I'm a paid faculty, staff, student assistant, or registered volunteer." (With access to CSU Learn)
  2. "I'm a student, unpaid helper, or volunteer." ( Without access to CSU Learn)

Still not sure?  Contact our office for clarification at 559.278.7422 or

Program Requirements

California State University, Fresno is self-insured only for auto liability insurance. This insurance is through the State agency called the Office of Risk and Insurance Management (ORIM) through the State Motor Vehicle Liability Self-Insurance Program (VELSIP).

There are specific requirements for driving on state business. The most significant are:

  • Must be a state employee or volunteer signed up through Human Resources (Job Class 0050)
  • Must have a valid California or other state driver's license of appropriate class for the type of vehicle being driven
  • Must participate in the DMV driving record pull notice program, and maintain a good driving record
  • Must have had Defensive Driving training within the last four years

Other requirements and procedures regarding driving on state business are stated in the policy on Driving on University Business, Section G-14, and the CSU Use of University and Private Vehicles Guidebook.

Verify Your Defensive Driving Authorization Status

Authorized Drivers List (Updated Monthly)

Each month (by the end of the first full week) the Authorized Drivers List will be updated and posted. This information is sorted by last name first, and then followed by first name. If you believe that you should be on this list, please contact our office for assistance:

As a reminder Driving Authorization Request forms are due annually and trainings are required every 4 years. 

Concur Travel Expense Error

If you have been recently been authorized to drive and are having issues submitting your Concur Travel expense report, please follow these steps below:

  • Open your Concur Expense Report.
  • Select each driving expense with a red ! mark. 
  • Re-save the entry by clicking on the “Save Expense” button on the top right or bottom left.

This should clear your driving exceptions and allow you to submit your travel reimbursement request

If the issue does not resolve please contact our office at


Authorized Drivers List

Human Resources Volunteer Application and Appointment Form

What To Do If You Get Into An Accident