Skip to main content Skip to main navigation Skip to footer content

Payroll Services

Frequently Asked Questions

Common Payroll Questions and Their Answers

FAQs Overview

Your payday is dependent upon your employee status (regular or temporary/student employee) and whether you are participating in the direct deposit program. Monthly paid employees receive pay per the dates issued by the State Controller's Office which are indicated on our campus Payroll Calendar. Temporary and student employees receive pay on the 15th of each month.  If the 15th falls on a Saturday, pay will be issued on Friday.  If the 15th falls on a Sunday, pay will issue the following Monday. See the Payroll Calendar for actual pay days.

(Staff are required to check authorizations and ID.)

Individuals who do not have direct deposit for their paycheck are required to pick up their pay check at the Cashier windows in the lobby of the Joyal Administration Building.

Pay checks for monthly paid staff, management, and faculty will be available between 3:00 pm and 4:30 pm on pay warrant distribution day. Pay checks for students and hourly paid employees are available beginning at 8:00 am on the scheduled pay day. All pay checks can be found at the Cashier windows in the Joyal Administration Building Lobby. During summer hours, pay will be available between 3:00 pm and 3:30 pm for monthly paid staff, management, and faculty on pay distribution day. Paychecks for hourly employees and student assistants will be available beginning at 7:00 am on pay distribution days.

If you would like to sign up for direct deposit, please complete the Electronic Direct Deposit Request Form.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, Direct Deposit advices are no longer being printed by the State Controller's Office. For a copy of your Direct Deposit advice, please enroll in Cal Employee Connect.

No, they are printed at the State Controller's Office in Sacramento and delivered to us.

Payroll Services, Joyal Administration Building, room 211. 

Employment & Benefits Services, Joyal Administration Building, room 211.  Their phone number is 559.278.2032.

Payroll deductions for savings, car payments, etc. must be setup through your bank. Your bank will submit your deduction request to the State Controller’s Office directly. To establish a TSA, contact Employment and Benefits Services.

Payroll Services, Joyal Administration Building, room 211.  Click here to electronically complete the Direct Deposit form.

It generally takes one to two payroll cycles to set up Direct Deposit.  Once the automatic deposit is in place, the employee can access the direct deposit advice online through the employee portal or through Cal Employee Connect.

Around the 15th of January each year. The W-2 is mailed to the current mailing (not home) address on file with the University (as of December 10th the previous year).

First, contact Payroll Services at 559.278.2032 because your W-2 may have been undeliverable to your address of record and as a result, it may have been forwarded to us. If we have your W-2, we will ask you to complete a change of address form and we will release your W-2 to you. If we you need a duplicate, then you can sign up for Cal Employee Connect to access your W2. If you would like an offical hard copy of your W2, you can download/complete the Standard Form 436 Duplicate W-2 Request Form and submit it to the State Controller's Office along with a money order or cashier's check for $8.50 (per tax year).

A lost paycheck must have a stop payment placed on it.  Once the State is sure the check has not been cashed, a replacement check can be issued.  This process can take 2-4 weeks.  Stop payment requests are submitted to Payroll Services.

Vacation Credit is earned for each qualifying monthly pay period. For purposes of computing vacation credit, an employee who works eleven (11) or more days in a monthly pay period is considered to have completed a qualifying month. When an absence without pay of more than eleven (11) consecutive working days falls into two (2) consecutive qualifying monthly pay periods, one (1) of the pay periods is disqualified for leave accrual.

Vacation accrual is based on months of service and bargaining unit agreements. Refer to your contract for more information.

Eligible employees may accrue unused vacation credits up to the maximum allowed as of December 31. When computing the maximum allowable vacation limits include the December vacation accrual that is available the following January 1.

There is a maximum on how much vacation can be carried-over from year-to-year depending on your bargaining unit.  Refer to your collective bargaining agreement or contact your payroll technician for more information.   Sick leave hours can continue to accumulate as there is no maximum.

No.  Students are allowed to work a maximum of 20 hours per week while classes are in session and up to 40 hours per week during breaks. If a student has more than one job on campus, the maximum is 20 hours total work time combined.

Leave accruals are based upon time base, and leave usage is typically based upon the employee’s regular work schedule. For example, full time employees on alternate work schedules such as the 9/80, 4/10 or 3/12 all accrue sick leave at eight (8) hours per qualifying monthly pay period; however, sick leave usage for a full day would be based upon their respective 9, 10, or 12-hour workday, as appropriate. In the case of hourly intermittent employment, leave accruals and usage are based on the number of hours worked in a given pay period; not a schedule.