Student Nonresident Aliens
Student employees holding any of the following foreign Visas: F, J, M or Q.
- Must be hired in job class code 1868.
- Non-resident alien student assistants retain their 1868 job code always -- they are not bridged.
- As other student assistants, nonresident students must maintain a minimum unit of 6 units (undergraduate) or 4 units (graduate).
- As other student assistants limit work hours to 20 hours a week or less when school is in session.
- Nonresident alien student assistants must obtain a work permit from the Office of International Students Services and Programs. This work permit must be renewed each semester and presented to Payroll Services.
The income received by NRA employees is is considered U.S. source income and is taxed according to U.S. tax laws. Generally there are four types of taxes withheld from your paycheck:
- Social Security Tax
- Medicare (FICA)
F, J, M, and Q visa holders are exempt from FICA during their "exempt" years.
- Federal Income Tax
- State Income Tax