Emergency Procedures & Preparation
Severe storms can cause landslides, flooding, uprooted trees, and downed utility lines.
- Tune to 1040 AM for emergency advisories and instructions.
- If water has entered a garage or basement, do not walk through it – it may contain hazardous materials.
- Do not try to drive over a flooded road. If your car stalls, abandon it immediately. Attempting to move a stalled vehicle in flood conditions can be fatal.
- If you are asked to leave your property, disconnect all electrical appliances.
- Do not walk through moving water. Six inches of moving water can make you fall. If you must walk in water, walk where the water is not moving. Use a stick to check the firmness of the ground in front of you.
- Stay clear of water that is in contact with downed power lines.
- Do not allow children to play around high water, storm drains or any flooded areas.
- If you are asked to leave your property, shut off electric circuits. If advised by your local utility, shut off gas service as well.
In an Emergency
Call Fresno State Police Department
- 911 from a campus phone