Skip to main content Skip to main navigation Skip to footer content

Student Accounts

Returned Checks

Writing a bad check is against the law. Recipients of bad checks may sue the Payer in Small Claims court for three times the amount of the check or $100, whichever is more. In addition, suit may be made against the Payer for the face value of the check and all court costs. (California Civil code, Chapter 522, Section 1719)

Writing a bad check will result in the following:

  • Attachment of your University records and denial of all services.
  • A $20.00 processing charge.
  • Cancellation of enrollment. Once cancelled, you will not be reinstated.
  • Payment for returned checks must be made with a cashier's check or money order.
  • Personal checks will not be accepted, including checks written by a friend or relative.
  • Placing a "Stop Payment" or "closing" your account will not release you from your financial obligation nor will it automatically drop you from enrollment.

Return to Payments Page