Fresno State currently offers two different loans: Dream Loans and Nursing Loans.
How to apply for Loans?
Under each section, there will be more specific directions on how to apply depending on which loan you are interested in. Make sure to thoroughly read the details to make sure you qualify for the loan and have the necessary information needed when applying.
California Dream Loan
The California DREAM Loan Program provides eligible AB 540 undergraduates and graduates with the option to borrow loans to help cover the cost of attending Fresno State. Currently, AB 540 students who graduate from a California high school and meet the California Dream Act requirements are eligible for state and university aid, but ineligible for federal aid (including federal loans). The DREAM loan program, funded by the state and the CSU system, aims to close that gap and provide eligible students with the opportunity to borrow student loans to help pay for their education.
If you're an AB 540 undergraduate or graduate, here's what you need to know:
A loan is borrowed money (you may hear terms like "borrowing" or "taking out loans" ) that you have to pay back with interest.
The maximum amount of a loan is capped at $4,000 each year. You can borrow every year you're an eligible student at Fresno State, or until you receive a maximum of $20,000 in DREAM loans.
- The DREAM loan is a low-interest subsidized loan.
- The interest rate changes annually on July 1st of the new academic year.
- Interest will not accrue as long as you're enrolled at least half time (enrolled in 6 units if you are an undergraduate student or 3 units if you are a graduate student).
- Once you graduate or are no longer enrolled at least half time, you will have a 6-month grace period before repayment begins.
AB 540 undergraduates or graduate students who:
- Have financial need
- Are enrolled at least half-time at Fresno State
Obtaining a DREAM Loan
- Fresno State DREAM loan application can be here https://dream.csac.ca.gov/
- If you are awarded a DREAM loan by the financial aid office you will need to complete the DREAM loan Master Promissory Note (MPN), using the Social Security Number (SSN) or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) listed on your application.
- Complete the Dream Loan Disclosures, using the Social Security Number (SSN) or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) listed on your application. This requirement will be added to your student checklist after you accept the loan.
- Check your Fresno State email frequently for updates from our office.
- Be sure to use the Social Security Number (SSN) or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) listed on your Fresno State application when completing any requirements for your DREAM loan.
Repaying a DREAM Loan
California Dream Loans are set up to be repaid in monthly installments over a 10-year period and have a minimum payment of $50 a month. You can pay off your loan earlier without penalty. You begin repaying your loan at the end of a 6-month grace period. The grace period begins once you graduate, leave school, or enroll less than half-time.
- Information about the DREAM loan can be found at Heartland ECSI’s website. You can visit their website at https://www.heartlandecsi.com/
- You will complete your loan requirements on your ECSI account.
- You will make your payments through your ECSI account.
The Federal Nursing Student Loan (NSL) program is designed to provide low-interest federal student loans to students pursuing a degree in Nursing and who demonstrate financial need based on their FAFSA data. Based on the availability of funds, students pursuing a bachelor's or master's degree in Nursing may qualify for this loan. Up to $3,000 may be borrowed annually for the first two years of undergraduate study in the nursing program, and up to $5,200 annually for subsequent undergraduate study. The aggregate lifetime total of NSL funds borrowed cannot exceed $17,000.
- Be admitted and enrolled in a Fresno State Nursing program;
- Be enrolled at least half-time;
- Have financial "Need"
Accepting / Declining or Reducing your Loan
Once you are awarded a Nursing Loan by the Financial Aid Office you will receive an email with instructions to either decline your loan or accept and complete and sign the online Promissory Note and Entrance Counseling. Note: If you want to reduce your loan amount prior to disbursement, please contact the Financial Aid Office.
Fixed 5.0% interest rate.
- No loan origination fees
- No interest or payments while enrolled at least half-time.
- Repayment begins 9-months after students either graduate or drop below half-time enrollment, whichever occurs first.
Repayment does not begin until nine months after students either graduate or drop below halftime enrollment, whichever occurs first. At the time a student graduates or drops below half-time enrollment they will also need to complete an Exit Interview.
For questions regarding an awarded Nursing Loan you may contact Alex Velasquez @ firstname.lastname@example.org or 559.278.6808.
Contact Alex Velesquez at email@example.com or 559.278.6808 for questions about cancellation benefits.