Skip to main content Skip to main navigation Skip to footer content

Facilities Management

Frequently Asked Questions

What is considered "Special Cleaning"?
Special cleaning are services that are not normally scheduled in a custodian's normal routine that require extra time, equipment, or manpower. Refinishing of flooring, shampooing of furniture and carpets are just some examples. While some of these tasks are also completed by Custodial Services crews during the semester, customer originated requests must be submitted through a customer service request. Please contact Facilities Management Service Center at 559.278.2373 or submit a Customer Service Request Form. Additionally, some service requests that are a result of special events could carry a charge to the appropriate organization.

Can I have a Custodian unlock a room?
For security and safety reasons, Custodial Services employees are not authorized to unlock doors for anyone. Request for unlocking of doors must be made to Campus Police at 259.278.8400.

What if I have a spill clean up or need a towel dispenser filled?
For spills, immediate clean ups or filling of dispensers please contact Facilities Management Service Center at 559.278.2373 who will then dispatch a custodian as soon as possible.